Monday, November 26, 2007

Jason Boom - Environmental Community Warden, Hebden Royd Town Council


How old are you?
37 on the birth certificate, but the years have been unkind, I look a little older.

What’s your occupation and who do you work for?
I’m the Environmental Community Warden for Hebden Royd Town Council.

How long have been doing this?
I’ve just passed the first anniversary, still in the honeymoon period.

What is it about your job that makes it ethical?
I consider appropriate/sustainable issues all the time. The small size of our organisation means this has to be considered at all times.

What’s the best bit about your job?
Walking past a site/project that I have been involved with and thinking…..I did that!

What’s the worst thing?
Too many projects being caused by unthinking residents/politicians/businesses. Respect for others would put me out of work.

What have the last 12 months been like for you?
Busy, I’ve met so many interesting people and realised it’s not just me who wants to change where I live.

What were you doing before this?
I spent 3 years looking after my young family and before that ran a retail business for 10 years, Health Foods and pills & potions.

What was your very first full-time job?
Stacking shelves at ASDA, a great motivator for getting out and improving yourself.

What advice would you give to someone wishing to embark on the same sort of work as you?
Start local, volunteer in your home town/village and see the difference you can make where you live. You’ll then realise how you can improve people’s surroundings.

Have you got any plans for the next 12 months you’d like to share with us?
Learn to say no. This is a skill that I really do need to learn – does anybody know of a training course for this?

What do you do to relax?
I tend not to, more volunteering followed by trips to the Pub. I do like Musical Theatre but find it expensive to take the whole clan.

Who do you live with?
Long suffering partner Julia and the brood Tom, 5, William, 3 and Molly, 2.

Whereabouts do you live?
Luddenden, 3 miles from Hebden Bridge in the old Village Hall.

If you were Prime Minister, what’s the very first thing you would do?
Invest in Common Sense, a commodity in short supply. Add in some respect, remove greed and away we go!

As cheap and easily available oil is expect to run out in the next couple of decades, what do you think will be the predominant form of transport in 2027?
I’d like to see walking make a return, if only people would work, shop and play close to where they live. There seems to be a preoccupation with getting away from where we live, if it’s that bad don’t bloody live there!

Have you got any guilty carbon secrets?
My three spot lights in the kitchen, they use more electric than all the other bulbs in the house, I refuse to eat my cornflakes in dim light.

What have you done that you were most proud of?
Yet to have an answer for this one, the latest project seems to always be better than the last one. I’m chuffed to have lovely kids.

What single issue are you most concerned about in the world at large?
Big business and the way individuals don’t realise how they are being manipulated. I get manipulated but at least I am aware of it.

Which person in the public eye do you most admire and why?
Difficult one, I really admire the chap on Grand Designs called Ben who built his home out of wood from the woodland he manages.

What’s your website address?
I’m not posh enough to have my own but I appear on the Heb Web regularly, updates on work new projects etc. I like to been seen on paper too, the Hebden Bridge Times is very accommodating.

No comments: